Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Marriage Equality in NY

And in all the celebration and joy, I nearly forgot that hate itself was not conquered, just quieted, in this place, so that loving became the louder sound.

But I know that elsewhere love still speaks quietly in dark places, I know that even in NY, hate can be loud as gunshots sometimes.

But we will celebrate, because love is powerful, and it overcame something so big I didn't think I would ever be able to see around it.  So we celebrate. And we speak our pronouncements (I now pronounce you..) like incantations against the space/time when they could not be spoken. Or like little prayers to protect a small, sacred thing,. "I now pronounce you...." Like the way a new mother pronounces her baby's name for the first time. "Wife and Wife." "Husband and Husband."  Amen.

I believe in love. I believe in love the way I believe in air, a soft thing I can't always sense, but a necessary thing without which there is just empty space between separate beings. I need love to connect it all, to be the fascia of the divine body, the substance that allows commerce between us. I believe that love must be there, at the bottom of everything, between two people, any two people, when the eyes are open and clear enough, I believe there must be love. Love being a kind of subtle recognition of a common thing. There must be that recognition. And dear God, let there be a common thing to recognize. There must be a unifying love. Or else I don't know anything at all.

Sometimes, when I hear old hate in this new time, it makes me feel like I don't know anything at all. How can you argue a simple thing? How can you explain that your body is fiber and marrow enough to be called a human body and that your spirit is full of God enough to love the God unfurled on your bedsheets? 

I believe in love. I believe in celebrating love, after a long fight for love. And I know it is not over, not until our love is no longer a controversial thing. Not until our equality is a simple truth rather than a political stance. When our love can just be love, then we can fully lay down our sword and shield. But what has happened means something.

There used to be a mountain here.
In this place, in this time, we have worn it down.

So let's enjoy the soft sand we have made.

2 comments:

  1. After reading your words, this is the first time I've had a pleasant flashback to thesis writing.

    "'Lay em down, [...]. Sword and shield. Down. Down. Both of em down. Down by the riverside. Sword and shield. Don't study war no more. Lay all that mess down. Sword and shield.' And under the pressing fingers and the quiet instructive voice, she would. Her heavy knives of defense against misery, regret, gall and hurt, she placed one by one on a bank where clear water rushed on below."

    I look forward to the day when river banks are lined with swords and shields and our hands are empty.

    ReplyDelete